Marvel Comics is launching a Digital Coupon scheme with their digital comics, redeemable for Marvel print comics. Buy a comic through the Marvel App and you will be emailed a link to download a $5 coupon with a link to their nearest comic shop. One per customer.
Retailers can then redeem the coupon code on the phone, and will receive a $5 credit from Marvel.
A $5 print coupon for spending as little as 99 cents on a digital comic? I’d buy that for a dollar.
Of course I’m not the audience. This is a blatant attempt to take the casual digital comic book reader and drive them into the comic shop. Where they can then be converted to the way of the comic collector.
And for retailers this should be a very welcome move. Publishers have been accused of taking print customers and turning them into digital customers. With Marvel, this is a very bold way to invest in the direct market by reversing that trend.
Also, expect a significant investment promoting this in the mainstream media.
- The Siegel and Shuster Lost Superman Story that Marv Wolfman Rescued as a Boy - January 23, 2018
- Thanos #15, Avengers #677 and #678 Go to Second Print Before Even Going on Sale - January 23, 2018
- Venom to Get an “Epic” in the Fall of 2018… Another One? - January 23, 2018
- Image Comics Solicits for April 2018: Launching New Series Analog, Isola, Crude, The Dead Hand, and Skyward - January 23, 2018
- Ralph Macchio Returns to the Avengers for the Infinity Shards! - January 23, 2018