Marvel Comics is launching a Digital Coupon scheme with their digital comics, redeemable for Marvel print comics. Buy a comic through the Marvel App and you will be emailed a link to download a $5 coupon with a link to their nearest comic shop. One per customer.
Retailers can then redeem the coupon code on the phone, and will receive a $5 credit from Marvel.
A $5 print coupon for spending as little as 99 cents on a digital comic? I’d buy that for a dollar.
Of course I’m not the audience. This is a blatant attempt to take the casual digital comic book reader and drive them into the comic shop. Where they can then be converted to the way of the comic collector.
And for retailers this should be a very welcome move. Publishers have been accused of taking print customers and turning them into digital customers. With Marvel, this is a very bold way to invest in the direct market by reversing that trend.
Also, expect a significant investment promoting this in the mainstream media.
- How Did Retailers Feel About Free Comic Book Day 2017? - May 26, 2017
- San Francisco Giants’ Hunter Pence To Open Comic Store In Houston With Comic Book Men’s Ming Chen - May 26, 2017
- Jae Lee’s New Creator-Owned Comic To Be Announced Today At Phoenix Comicon - May 26, 2017
- No More Sam Wilson Or Steve Rogers – It’s Just Captain America Going Forward - May 26, 2017
- Bill Willingham’s Lark’s Killer, Previewed At Phoenix Comicon For $20 - May 26, 2017