Out now on DVD in the US and the UK (and if you’re in the US, also as DVD and Blu-ray double pack), the Dreamworks Dragons double bill comprises a short sequel and what may be better termed a “spin-off” from How To Train Your Dragon.
Gift of the Night Fury is a short story, some twenty some minutes long, and set after the events of the first film. Meanwhile, Book of Dragons is a kind of animated guide book to the titular beasts, running almost twenty minutes. Neither is quite as incident-packed as the feature but I found them comparable in terms of amusement value, charm and sweet heartedness. And while I’m sure the budget was considerably lower than for the movie, minute for minute, these still looked pretty nifty in HD.
Shame they weren’t in 3D, though.
Dreamworks have released some new clips via their YouTube account, so I thought I’d share the whole set.
There’s some 2D animation in Book that looks rather good. I wish they’d given that a good showcase.
The feature length sequel to Dragon is deep into development now and due in 2014. I expect we’ll see some more minisodes in the meantime.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014