From this trailer, Mads Brugger‘s The Ambassador appears to be rather scattershot and sometime a little bit slapdash, but also rich in a wild potential.http://vimeo.com/32966517
From some of that footage you might be mistaken for thinking this movie belongs in the documentary section, but The Ambassador is actually a contender for prizes in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition at next year’s Sundance.
And as the aesthetic maybe hints, the film is a production of Zentropa, Lars Von Trier‘s production company.
I’ll bypass the Sundance listing of the film for it’s fuller, official blurb:
A strange, enigmatic and decadent white diplomat arrives in central Africa, looking like a mixture of Henry Stanley and Karl Lagerfeld.He has recently bought an ambassadorship and claims to be a do-good rich business man, who has come to spearhead a diplomatic mission. Officially he is there to start a factory that produces matches – this, to employ locals and teach how to make this simple piece of fire-making equipment. Unofficially he is really there to gain access to vast reserves of diamonds.The Ambassador is a genre-breaking, tragic comedy about the bizarre world of African diplomacy.
I’d certainly queue for that.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014