Casting is underway for Jaume Collet-Serra‘s new, Americanised, live-action adaptation of Akira, and this includes extras and stand-ins. As such, a call has gone out, and with it, a little plot blurb:
Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel.
Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers.
Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo’s mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel’s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago.
Most of that seems in good order, though. But this film was never going to fall at the point of basic plot set-up, was it?
Acting Auditions have also listed the principal stars, but without indicating their source in doing so. It may just be down to their Googling:
Kristen Stewart – Ky
Garret Hedlund – Kaneda
Helena Bonham Carter – Lady Miyako
Ken Watanabe – The Colonel
Thanks to Elle at Garret Minds for the link.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014