A couple of years ago, Bleeding Cool broke the news that DC Comics was planning to return to Watchmen to tell new stories. Dave Gibbons would be involved as well as many of DC’s brightest stars.
The very concept was pooh-poohed and Bleeding Cool was accused to making the whole thing up, by some. Until Alan Moore confirmed that he had been approached to, if nothing else, acquiesce to the project, in return for subsequently being granted the ownership rights to Watchmen that he had once sought, at a later date. He turned the idea down, and the media attention seemed to kill the project.
For a while.
I was told before New York Comic Con that it might be back on and that DC were drawing up a wishlist of creators for a series of Watchmen prequel comics.. Well, I’ve now heard a lot more. Darwyn Cooke’s name is at the very top, linked to drawing two mini-series and writing another, followed by the likes of JMS, JG Jones, Andy Kubert and Brian Azzarello. Whether or not they have been approached, I don’t know, and no one’s talking, but it gives you an idea of the scale. I would also expect Dave Gibbons and John Higgins to be involved in some way.
I’ve also been told that there’s a creative meeting happening this week and the project has a secret name, “Panic Room” – as in that’s where the creators will need to go when the news breaks….
DC declined to comment. Just as he did last time, Dave Gibbons would only say “hurm”.
- Marvel Panel At Baltimore Comic-Con: “Many People Feel As Though Marvel Just Hadn’t Been Feeling Right” - September 23, 2017
- Dark Ark #1 By Cullen Bunn And Joe Doe Sells Out And Goes To Second Printing - September 23, 2017
- Frank Cho Has A New Fan Of His Wonder Woman Art - September 23, 2017
- Heroes & Villains Fan Fest New York 2017: Cosplay, Gotham, And Barrowman - September 23, 2017
- The AfterShock Table At Baltimore Comic-Con - September 23, 2017