Bleeding Cool has been rather critical to Marvel lately over price points of comic books, maybe we should also keep an eye on DC.
Because during the DC Relaunch we were led to believe that they would be holding the line with a $2.99 price for 20 pages. And indeed, some comics like Batwoman and Superman had more.
But there would be also $3.99 books. Action Comics, Justice League, Men Of War, All Star Western, that would have a larger page count, closer to 30 pages. And that’s the way it would be.
Action Comics #2 was the first let down, 22 pages with some back up material. Today, Justice League #2 does the same. Ish. 22 pages of comics, followed by a small text interview between Amanda Waller and Captain Trevor over his experiences on Paradise Island, and four pages of Batman and Superman design sketches. Some people will not be happy.
But what they should be happy about is a comic book that shows a young, unsure, bickering Justice League and a certain trademark-protecting image of Superman breaking chains across his chest. It’s a fun soap opera all given the slick detailed veneer of Jim Lee’s pencils. It’s not particularly deep, resonant or meaningful in its superheroics, but it’s the slow binding together of a family. Just with big alien fight scenes.
And that text piece? It has this sentence. Which should make some people very very very happy indeed… and may even be worth that extra dollar.
Marvellous, isn’t it?
Justice League #2 is published by DC Comics today, $3.99 for 22 comic book pages. Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London, who are hosting Big Questions graphic novelist Anders Nilsen talking to Guardian cartoonist Tom Gauld tonight at 7pm. And was read sitting on an Omni chair. More on that later.
- San Diego Comic Con 2017 Badges On Sale On April 8th – 9am PT Noon ET 5pm BST - March 27, 2017
- DC Comics Sends Their Freelancers Big Blue Blankets… - March 27, 2017
- Manga Potrays President Donald Trump As Making Murder And Rape Legal - March 27, 2017
- Where To Buy The Watchmen Smiley Batman And Flash Covers If You Live In The UK - March 27, 2017
- The Biggest Spoilers For Secret Empire #0 You Can Find… If You Can Find Them - March 27, 2017