In conversation with Gail Simone with Brett Booth on Twitter, Brett Booth has announced that one of the new characters in the relaunched Teen Titans is gay. Initially known as The Wall in early publicity, now known as Bunker,
Gail Simone is appearing at the Montreal Comic Con and she wanted to let people know about it. Brett Booth, artist of Teen Titans was watching.
Gail Simone: Tomorrow I am on a panel not listed on the schedule, WHERE ARE THE GAY SUPERHEROES, at 11:00 am, in Mezzanine 1. It’ll be great!
Brett Booth: We got at least one in Teen Titans:)
Gail Simone: Really? Who is the gay superhero in TT? Can you say?
Brett Booth: Bunker is gay (the purple guy, I know, not my first color choice!)
Brett Booth: We’re trying to make being gay a part of who he is, your gaydar should be pinged right off the bat:)
Gail Simone: Thanks, Brett! I don’t know the character, but I would love to hear about him so I can tell people to look out for him!
Brett Booth: First appearance other than the cover to 1.
Bleeding Cool understands that his real name is Miguel Jose Barragan and was raised in a very small village in Mexico called El Chiar.
Teen Titans is written by Scott Lobdell, the man who wrote Alpha Flight #106, containing the infamous outing of Northstar at Marvel, that made newspaper headlines. He appeared on a gay-themed panel at San Diego and I understand the intention was to announce it there, though it was nixed by DC. Looks like Brett may have had the go ahead now…
Gay characters at both Marvel and DC’s superhero line are nothing new, but they are few and far between. Currently Marvel has a prominent gay couple in X-Factor, and Hulking and Wiccan in Young Avengers while DC Comics has a gay lead in Batwoman and Apollo and Midnighter in Stormwatch. And now the relaunched Teen Titans appears to be about to up their numbers.
Teen Titans #1 will go on sale a week on Wednesday.
- Champions #4 And #5 Go To Second Prints… - February 23, 2017
- Yes, Chicago, Andrew Aydin Will Speak At The New Trier High School’s Civil Rights Day After All - February 23, 2017
- Francois Boucq Redrew Scenes From Little Tulip To Be More Acceptable To An English Language Audience - February 23, 2017
- Liberatore Returns To Comics In Heavy Metal #285 With “Ai Shiteru” - February 23, 2017
- The CBLDF Condemn Homeland Security Proposal That Non-Citizens Hand Over Social Media Passwords - February 23, 2017