There’s two competing pairs of geek kicks coming down the street, one themed for Back to the Future, the other for The Muppets. Nike are teasing their imminent Mag Air shoes, based on the power-lacing models seen in Back to the Future part 2; while Adidas have a Kermit-styled “Original in HipHop” design expected in November.
We found out about the Nike Air Mag shoes last night. In the interim, this marketing video appeared online, showing shelves full of them.
The full announcement will be along shortly, though there’s little to add beyond a price tag and a street date. I’d expect “lots” and “soonish”.
The frondy ruff looks a bit impractical. Shame. I’d just about prefer a little bit of Kermit on my feet than Marty McFly, no matter how much I love the Back to the Future films.
Interestingly, the Nike shoes are a huge deal in and of themselves. They don’t exist to sell copies of the Back to Future trilogy, no matter how rooted they are in film fandom.
With the Muppets sneaks, it’s closer to being the other way round, with Adidas’ merchandise providing a nice extra boost of street-level branding in the run up to The Muppets‘ release at Thanksgiving.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014