When I wrote Superman, it was like contemplating Buddha,” he says. “I really felt elevated. Everything seemed more beautiful, more precious. Batman’s different. I try not to go into Batman that much because he’s nutty, and I don’t really want to feel like Bruce Wayne.”
1. On Identity Crisis – “The first time I read it I was kind of outraged. I thought this was just… why? What the fuck is this, really? It wasn’t even normal. It was outrageous. It was preposterous because of the Elongated Man with his arms wrapped several times around the corpse of his wife. I thought something is broken here. Something has gone so wrong in this image.”
2. On Alan Moore and rape – “I suddenly think how many times has somebody been raped in an Alan Moore story? And I couldn’t find a single one where someone wasn’t raped except for Tom Strong, which I believe was a pastiche. We know Alan Moore isn’t a misogynist but fuck, he’s obsessed with rape.”
3. On comic book groupies – “There were some people in the business who were fucking every girl in sight. I just couldn’t do that. I love the little girl-ness and the whole idea that they were really bright and they read Batman and Robin or they read Death from the Endless. It meant something to them and you don’t want to ruin that and make them think that the guys that do this stuff are sleaze bags and mess up their lives.”
4. On the split with Mark Millar – “It was quite hard, I felt, but he had to make his own way, and he was in denial that I’d been there, because I saw a lot of his work had been plotted or devised, even dialogue suggestions were done by me right up until the point of The Ultimates.”
5. On Batman and Superman – “When I wrote Superman, it was like contemplating Buddha, I really felt elevated. Everything seemed more beautiful, more precious. Batman’s different. I try not to go into Batman that much because he’s nutty, and I don’t really want to feel like Bruce Wayne.”
*BTW, if I recall**, Alan Moore has talked about rape occuring in his comics, pointing out that murder happens in many comics without note. He’s just not one to brush such things under the carpet.
** I may recall wrong. Anyone help me here?