Yesterday, Bleeding Cool told you that bakery chain Williams-Sonoma was giving away Marvel comic books with every two design-a-superhero cookies for $5, with special instore events for you to design your cookie. Both the event and the comics were produced with the Share Our Strength charity and their No Kid Hungry programme.
Well, some Little Bleeders went along and there’s photo evidence of their efforts below. But first, let’s have a look at the free comic, Spider-Man And The Avengers.
It’s one of those specially-created custom books using Marvel characters to promote… something.In this case, the art of cooking.
Jarvis the Butler is teaching kids to cook outside the Avengers Mansion (yeah, in retrospect, anywhere else would be better) as the Mansion is attacked by bag guys. Jarvis and the kids are Pym-particled shrunk away to safety (where they may be stepped on). Or, rather than getting to safety, Jarvis decides they should keep going with their recipes. As the superhero battle occurs around them.
Look, it’s a “special project” comic, internal consistency is never going to be a concern.
But despite all that, this comic is a lot better than it has any right to be. And some of that may well be down to the writer and Senior VP of Marvel, CB Cebulski, who is a bit of a food lover in his own right. He even has his own food blog, Eataku.
So with Todd Nauck, they create a scenario where cooking techniques are juxtaposed with super hero/super villain fight scenes, both in text and in visuals.
The book can be read in full here. But just for the record, let’s take those rather entertaining juxtapostions and enjoy them together. And then move on to the cookies…
And a Venom and War Machine from the son…
- The Daily LITG, 13th December 2018, The Scott Snyder Who Laughs - December 13, 2018
- DC Comics Cancel Orders For Batman: Creature Of The Night #4 – Will Return Later in 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Mark Seifert’s Marvel Declassified Returns on December 17th - December 12, 2018
- What Toys do People in the Marvel Universe Buy? Amazing Spider-Man #11 Reveals All - December 12, 2018
- Valiant Announces ‘Breakthrough’ Line-Up for 2019 - December 12, 2018