Last night, BBC One showed the film Starter For Ten from 2006. I think I saw it on an aeroplane back seat once. Made by the BBC with HBO, it’s an eighties period film about a young man who goes to university with the express aim of taking part in the TV quiz show University Challenge.
He’s also better known these days for playing Charles Xavier.
His mother is Donna Noble off of Doctor Who, and his best mate rented a room to The Doctor as well. His second mate is Iron Man’s dad.
And the team Captain is Sherlock Holmes.
The question master is Mycroft Holmes as well, which really sounds like cheating to me.
Much more than the crime of cheating that Charles Xavier is accused of, knowing the answer before the question is asked. It’s not cheating, he’s just a telepath. It’s blatant prejudice, that’s what it is.
All that before any of them were cast.
Sherlock Holmes, Howard Stark, Charles Xavier, Donna Noble and Mycroft Holmes.
What other League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen-type teams out there lurking in the cast, made before they were more famous in other roles?
If only Alice Eve had got Peggy Carter, Gwen Stacy, Emma Frost or Lana Lang…
Here’s the BBC iPlayer link, good for a week.
- Tying Up One Of Those Civil War II Hanging Threads In Today’s Ultimates 2… - April 26, 2017
- DC Comics Ch-Ch-Changes – Hal, Hell And Harley - April 26, 2017
- Another Fake Jack Kirby Page Sells For Over $2000 On eBay - April 26, 2017
- Adult Swim Confirms That Neon Joe, Werewolf Hunter Is Returning In May - April 26, 2017
- A Comic Store In Your Future – Guardians 2 Will Be A Smash. The Comics, Not So Much. - April 26, 2017