My initial reaction upon seeing this trailer was to laugh, and laugh heartily, which can sometimes be a good thing but not, I think, in this case. Tarsem Singh‘s Immortals is an epic(?) 3D action-adventure about a battle between humans and titans, or humans and gods, or gods and titans, or just a general rumble. As the pop-up text reminds us, it’s from the producers of 300, and in fact there’s a shot in the trailer (10 points to the first person to spot it) that’s so closely modelled on a shot from the 300 trailer that it might as well have been lifted straight from it.
There are times when it borders on looking like quite a good film, and I think what lets it down is a combination of a paint-by-numbers epic fantasy storyline and, to be frank, some godawful costume design. Around the 1:50 mark is where I lost my faith, and where you probably will too. Half the cast look like they should be serving drinks in a Las Vegas gay bar, and the shot of the angels battling in the skies looks less like the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and more like some particularly awful wallpaper you’d find in Elton John’s house.
I’ve been very down on this trailer, and I don’t mean to be, really I don’t. In fact, I’m willing to bet that Singh will prove me wrong and Immortals will turn out to be Lord of the Rings, 300 and Ben-Hur all rolled into one trail-blazing package. I’m just not willing to bet £8 on it.
Immortals stars Henry Cavill, Freida Pinto and Mickey Rourke and will be on general release from the 11th November 2011.
- Jackie Chan Confirms Role In The Expendables 3 - December 17, 2012
- Garrett Hedlund Confirms Attachment To TRON 3 - December 13, 2012
- Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations - December 13, 2012
- James McAvoy And Mark Strong Star In New Trailer For Brit Action Thriller Welcome To The Punch - December 11, 2012
- The Asylum Finally Have One Of Their Mockbusters Blocked As Lawyers Stop Age Of The Hobbits - December 10, 2012