The Smurfs has just made over $78 million domestic with a current worldwide box office count of $135 million, which according to Sony is as good a reason as any to make a sequel. It’s been announced by the studio that The Smurfs 2 has claimed the first release date in August 2013, and will be released on the 2nd of that month.
The only thing confirmed so far is the existence of the film and the date; they don’t yet have a story to tell or anyone to tell it, but they can fill in those minor details later.
The Smurfs opens in the UK today, and is another one of those “cartoon characters get accidentally sent to modern day Earth and whimsy ensues” numbers (see also: Enchanted,* Alvin and the Chipmunks, Space Jam), and so far the reviews have been, well…
The cinematic equivalent of high-sugar, high-fat processed product: loud, crude, special-effects-driven, cheesy and vacuous. (Chicago Sun-Times)
I wouldn’t smurf Gosnell’s ‘The Smurfs’ on my smurfiest enemy. (Washington Post)
It’s the possibility of this frantic film spawning sequels that truly inspires thoughts of smurficide. (Village Voice)
I haven’t seen The Smurfs, so obviously I cannot pass any critical comment on its merits or faults. I plan to maintain this inability to comment on it for many blissful years to come.
*Brendon says: Enchanted is rather good. Well, most of the way through. And I’ll go an see The Smurfs before I comment on it, I think. Give me a few days.
- Jackie Chan Confirms Role In The Expendables 3 - December 17, 2012
- Garrett Hedlund Confirms Attachment To TRON 3 - December 13, 2012
- Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations - December 13, 2012
- James McAvoy And Mark Strong Star In New Trailer For Brit Action Thriller Welcome To The Punch - December 11, 2012
- The Asylum Finally Have One Of Their Mockbusters Blocked As Lawyers Stop Age Of The Hobbits - December 10, 2012