A hit at the Kapow comic convention in London, Joel Ronson is a thirteen year old young man (happy birthday Joel!) who loves comic books. And wants to let other people in on it. He writes for Bleeding Cool when he’s not got homework.
I finally got round to seeing Captain America: The First Avenger a few nights ago and I thought on a whole the film was absolutely awesome but it did have a few faults here and there.
I thought the acting was fantastic. I loved the way Chris Evans played Captain America and the Red Skull was really, really evil which is great acting on Hugo Weaving’s part. I thought the film’s action scenes were truly amazing although sometimes the special effects did make it look like you were watching a video game with really good graphics. I also found it a little strange that before Steve Rogers became Captain America he had such a low voice even though he was very skinny.
The good definitely overweighed the bad in Captain America: The First Avenger and now Captain America is my favourite superhero!
I never saw the new Green Lantern film. Mainly because I am reading Geoff Johns fantastic Green Lantern: Secret Origins series and I was worried that the first half of the movie would pretty much be a film adaptation of it. I would much rather read Green Lantern’s origin than see it in a film which was apparently terrible.
I think the only film better than Captain America: The First Avenger this summer was Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 2 which I got to go to the premier of. The premier was fantastic but not without its anxieties. At one point I had to get out of my seat to go to the bathroom and as I squeezed past the people in their seats somebody loudly tutted. So to prevent further tutting from the same person I decided to go back to my seat from the other side which involved me squeezing past a family of dwarves who were in the film.
I thought the film was pretty much perfect. I have never seen better scenery in any other film. I loved the film so much, I considered buying a replica wand. I figured if they ever invent magic I will be prepared.
I have found myself buying a lot more Marvel comics than DC Comics. In fact, I have started to prefer Marvel over DC again. Here are the reasons why:
1. I much prefer Marvel superheroes to DC superheroes now. My favourite superhero is Captain America and my second favourite is probably Daredevil so I definitely prefer Marvel superheroes.
2. I think Marvel’s villains are much, much better than DC’s villains.
3. I much, much prefer Marvels movies over DC’s movies.
4. I think Marvel’s X-Men cartoon is by far better than any cartoon DC have ever made.
So, Marvel, I am back on your side! But of course I am going to keep on reading DC. I have just pre-ordered my DC Relaunch comics. The only ones i’m not buying are Resurrection Man, Suicide Squad, Red Hood and the Outlaws and Birds of Prey.
Remember that column I did where I told you about how I talked to the absolutely lovely Alan Moore on the phone and he told me he was going to send me his new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book? Well not only has he sent me that, but he has sent me all five of his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books! And he has signed them all! He’s such a great man.
Anyway, I hope you all have enjoyed this article and I will be back for my regular column again next monday!
- Defenders, Secret Empire, Old Man Logan, Bitch Planet And Mary Jane Covers Top Advance Reorders - May 24, 2017
- What DC Rebirth Secrets Are In Your Comics This Week? Justice League Of America… - May 24, 2017
- That Moment When Secret Empire Just Goes Silly, From Secret Warriors #2 - May 24, 2017
- Shadowman’s (Almost) Back in Rapture #1 - May 24, 2017
- IDW Full Solicits For August 2017 Includes A Major Crossover – Donald and Mickey! - May 24, 2017