You might consider the following to be spoiler material. Turn back now, or march ahead – the decision is yours.
So. Denis Leary is playing Captain George Stacy, father of Gwen, in The Amazing Spider-Man. In the comics, the character meets an early demise. What’s more, there are on-set snaps from the filming of this picture that show Emma Stone, in the character of Gwen, attending a funeral – look:
It was assumed likely that Captain Stacy wouldn’t be making it to the film’s end credit crawl with breath in his lungs.
In a new interview with Denis Leary at Collider, the actor commented on his involvement with the current series of Spider-flicks. The exchange begins like this:
Collider: Are you definitely set for Spider-Man 2 and 3?
Leary: Yeah. I guess they officially announced it yesterday.
Well, what Sony had announced, in fact, was a release date for the second Spider-Man film in this set. Nothing to do with Leary at all, so there’s definitely a possible reading of the above dialogue that would suggest he was not answering in respect of his personal involvement, but for the production overall.
But… then he seems to really go and blow the surprise.
Collider: Does Captain Stacy have the walking stick, like he does in the comics?
Leary: No. Not yet, anyway.
Which seems to put a top on it. Unless, of course, he’s pulling our legs.
So, if it’s not Captain Stacy getting buried, and seeing as Peter and May weren’t in the scene, it’s not likely to be Uncle Ben, who’s funeral is it?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014