Its second issue, planned to be published well before San Diego Comic Con and Shumer’s panels at the show, did not come out.
The reason is that the publisher, Los Angeles-based StandWithUs wishes to remove from the comic an English translation of the document The Jews And Their Lies by Martin Luther, initiator of the Protestant Reformation and a prominent anti-semite, especially later in life. The publisher has told Arlen that if this reference is removed, the comic can be published.
Naturally, Arlen is not happy about that.
I must admit I find this puzzling. As a Christian, and a member of the Church Of England, I am not offended by the knowledge that prominent Christians were (and in some cases still are) notorious anti-semites. No more than I’m sure Arlen is offended by the knowledge that prominent Jews were (and in some cases still are) notorious racists. Certainly the Lutheran church happily and openly condemns the document in question, but even they don’t seek to hide it.
Instead, it’s a lesson.
I understand Arlen is now looking for another publisher.
- Action Lab Announces Zombie Tramp, Vampblade And Dollface Crossover -The Danger Doll Squad - April 27, 2017
- Animal Jam Comic To Come With Free Stickers - April 27, 2017
- Fan Expo Buys Calgary Expo, To Add To Its Collection Of Comic Cons? - April 27, 2017
- Secret Empire #2 Tops Advance Reorders - April 27, 2017
- Action Lab Puts Five Million Comics In The Classroom, Announces Kid Sherlock, Albert Einstein: Time Mason, Stray, Midnight Tiger And The Ghost, The Owl - April 27, 2017