Okay, so I may be somewhere half way across the Atlantic right now. But that’s not going to stop me interviewing Scott Lobdell about his new thing.
Rich Johnston: Okay, we’ve seen your name on Teen Titans, Red Hood, Superboy and Fathom of late. What happened to all those creator owned comics you were promising a while back?
Scott Lobdell: To be honest, all those titles have been relatively new — AWESOME has been a passion project for a few years. As I’ve been attending comic book conventions for a few decades now, I’ve always wanted to try to find a way in to tell a big huge honking story set in one of these magical places. It just happens that Ilias Kyriazis and I are shopping it to publishers at this time.
Rich Johnston: Okay, well imagine I’m one of those publishers. Pitch me.
Scott Lobdell: It’s an action family comedy book about a rough and tumble San Diego cop who has to moonlight at a comic book convention in order to secure two guest passes for his son and the boy’s stepfather — and Detective Kirby is a guy who has never so much as opened a comic book in his life. To make matters worse, he has to bodyguard a very self-important teen Gothic romance writer who thinks he’s an idiot for not knowing who she is or what her best selling books are about.
Together, these two have to put their mutual disgust aside (and mutual attraction on simmer) to work together in order to stop the evil Princess Queen from reshaping the entire world in her image!
Scott Lobdell: Not really, no. Do I think it would make an awesome movie, sure! But the whole adventure works best as a comic book. We’ll leave it to Hollywood to decide if it makes it to the silver screen. The fact that Don (Transformers) Murphy is a big fan of the property? What can I say — I can’t keep someone from loving AWESOME!
Scott Lobdell: Well, www.awesomethecomic.com would be a good place to start…
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 26th February 2017 – “I Wish Marvel’s Best Comic Could Be As Good As Their Worst Movie Or Netflix” - February 26, 2017
- One Last Cheer! A 2000AD Birthday Interview With Mike Carroll, Mike Collins And Rufus Dayglo - February 26, 2017
- 2000AD #2, First Appearance Of Judge Dredd, Sells For Over $880 On eBay - February 26, 2017
- Lying In The Gutters – 26th February 2017 – Holding The Market Back At $2.99? - February 26, 2017
- Concerns Expressed Over Mark Waid’s First Issue Of Jughead, Comics Most High Profile Asexual Character - February 26, 2017