In the newest issue of Flashpoint, out today, we discover that Superman crash landed as a baby in Metropolis instead of Kansas, killing 35,000. As a result he seems to be considered a very serious threat by the government. But also a being that they have to keep safe. You know, just in case.
And so he has lived in a basement for thirty years, without ever seeing the sun. As a result…. he doesn’t have the solar-based super powers we are so familiar with. And is a thin, pale wasting fellow. His spit curl on his forehead mocks him, as does his S1 chest logo. He is a Goth Superman.
Of course once those sunbeams flick across his concave chest, things start to change. But I hope not too much, it would be a shame if Goth Superman suddenly had to bulk up. There’s something incredibly interesting and appealing about the super strength character that doesn’t the muscles to match, it’s simply part of his super powers.
Because you know what? This is a Superman I’d buy.
And you can also see in the backmatter that he was designed almost a year ago…
He’s not really Emo Superman though. Unless that Emo is Emo Phillips.
- The Eisner Awards 2017 – Live, As They Come In - July 21, 2017
- IDW Cut Comics By 25% – And More First Strike, Star Trek, And Black Crown From The Diamond Retailer Presentation - July 21, 2017
- What It Looks Like When Retailers Race To Get Exclusive San Diego Comic-Con Swag - July 21, 2017
- Boom! Studios’ 5 Biggest Problems In Comics, And A ‘Clueless’ Graphic Novel - July 21, 2017
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund To Train Comic Book Retailers In Their Legal Rights - July 21, 2017