In the newest issue of Flashpoint, out today, we discover that Superman crash landed as a baby in Metropolis instead of Kansas, killing 35,000. As a result he seems to be considered a very serious threat by the government. But also a being that they have to keep safe. You know, just in case.
And so he has lived in a basement for thirty years, without ever seeing the sun. As a result…. he doesn’t have the solar-based super powers we are so familiar with. And is a thin, pale wasting fellow. His spit curl on his forehead mocks him, as does his S1 chest logo. He is a Goth Superman.
Of course once those sunbeams flick across his concave chest, things start to change. But I hope not too much, it would be a shame if Goth Superman suddenly had to bulk up. There’s something incredibly interesting and appealing about the super strength character that doesn’t the muscles to match, it’s simply part of his super powers.
Because you know what? This is a Superman I’d buy.
And you can also see in the backmatter that he was designed almost a year ago…
He’s not really Emo Superman though. Unless that Emo is Emo Phillips.
- Ch-Ch-Changes- with Edgar Salazar, Grant Morrison, Howard Porter and Jorge Jiminez - January 15, 2018
- Jamie Hewlett Draws BBC Radio 4 Front Row’s Stig Abel - January 15, 2018
- IDW to Publish Rick Veitch’s Brat Pack Hardcover in September - January 15, 2018
- Meet the Pink Time Force Ranger in April - January 15, 2018
- Valiant Issues Correction for Shadowman #1 Glow-in-the-Dark Variant – They Will Publish More Than One Copy - January 15, 2018