During tonight’s TV broadcast of the Tony awards, host Neil Patrick Harris gave himself 30 second to throw out as many Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark gags as he could. The thinking was that it would be easy to pepper the show with digs at the show, but probably also too easy, maybe even unfair.
Here are the jokes he managed within the countdown:
Pretty soon they’ll be turning its name to Spider-Man: Turn Off the Lawsuits.
Spider-Man: The only show that warns you about strobelight and falling actors.
No audience members were harmed in the making of this musical. Yet.
The only thing not falling over at Spider-Man are the ticket prices.
Julie Taymor knew it was over when she woke and found the head of War Horse in her bed.
Spider-Man is the only show in Broadway where the actors in the cast are actually in casts.
And that was time up – but he’d started, so he finished:
I sent Bono a congratulatory cable but it snapped.
And that was it – the year something comic-book related was the big elephant in the room at the Tonys. Can’t see it happening again anytime soon…
I’ll update with video should one become available.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014