Produced by The Jim Henson Company and Guillermo Del Toro, the next movie version of Pinocchio has some serious geek credentials right out of the gate. I also expect that it will make something of a fan hero out of its director, Gris Grimly, building on the love already earnt with his wonderful books.
One of those books, published in 2002, was an illustrated version of Carlo Collodi’s Pinocchio. Here’s the cover:
Some years later, and Grimly’s film is getting ready to speed into full-on production. There’s no casting news, yet, but we do at least know that the puppets are going to be splendidly well built. Grimly has tweeted that MacKinnon and Saunders, the world’s premiere stop-motion doll fabricators, are doing the builds of his characters.
He also went on to provide our first image of his Pinocchio in the
flesh wood. While this isn’t an actual puppet that will be animated in the film, it is built to the same model but as a non-articulated maquette, providing something the producers can show potential distributors.
There’s only a couple of these in the world, as Grimly told my fellow animation buff Seppe. This one was given to the director as a gift.
I’m calling dibs on the other one.
Footnote: Nick Cave is overseeing the music for this film. Does that mean he’ll be writing original songs? That’d be great.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014