This is how we first met the writer Grant Morrison in Animal Man, a metatextual adventure that saw the character meet his writer, the man who had destroyed his life and then who suddenly put it back together again. A stunning work, still vividly remembered today, and of course making Grant Morrison a DC character in the process.
Of course once Grant Morrison was a DC character, he was literally owned by DC. Which meant he could appear in Suicide Squad as the character The Writer.
Killed by writer’s block there. But death is never enough for a comic book character is it? He is likely to have been one of the Seven Unknown Men in Seven Soldiers, each meant to be modelled after a DC writer or editor.
He could even have been the eighth unknown man, Tor, The Terrible Time Tailor. We all know how much Grant likes a good suit. And then there were the Architects of the DC Universe. who appeared in the Doctor Thirteen story in Tales Of The Unexpected, with Grant Morrison presumed behind the Batman mask. But that was a while ago.
In Flashpoint #1, we meet The Outsider.
Bald, wearing a smart white suit, the kind Grant has often been seen and portrayed in. A very literal “outsider” perhaps?
I have to say, Flashpoint: The Outsider by James Robinson and Javi Fernandez suddenly got a whole lot more interesting.
Unless of course it’s John-a-dreams. But then that would be rather interesting too….
UPDATE: As has been pointed out in the comics, this is more likely to be an Alfred Pennyworth-gone-bad character, The Outsider, resurrected. Still, that white suit…
- Oh The Celebrities You’ll Meet At San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2017
- The Winners Of The Eisner Awards 2017 In Full – And Their Reactions! - July 22, 2017
- Black Eyed Peas Played The Marvel Party In San Diego Last Night – Video And Photos - July 22, 2017
- The Eisner Awards 2017 – Live, As They Come In - July 21, 2017
- IDW Cut Comics By 25% – And More First Strike, Star Trek, And Black Crown From The Diamond Retailer Presentation - July 21, 2017