After the sudden departure of Darren Aronofsky and the recent tragic natural disasters in Japan, it’s looking increasingly like The Wolverine could face serious delay, if not an outright cancellation. This is more than a shame as the screenplay, by Christopher McQuarrie is widely held to be very nifty indeed.
In an attempt to capitalise on an unexpected void in Hugh Jackman‘s schedule, Universal have reportedly approached him with an offer to star in Snow White and the Huntsman. This is the one with Kristen Stewart as Snow White and Charlize Theron as the evil witchy queen, and which skews much more towards the big contemporary blockbuster tropes. It’s to be directed by Rupert Sanders and is currently getting a new draft by Hossein Amini, writer of Nicolas Winding Refn’s upcoming Drive.
Deadline note that Jackman would probably expect a premium rate of pay for taking on this gig, not least because it’s going to follow Tarsem’s Snow White picture with some months of lag.
Jackman’s decision could hinge on the decision of just who he and Fox decide upon to take over the reins of The Wolverine. Duncan Jones and David Slade are being touted as possible replacements for Aronofsky – a real fork in the road, that one, I feel.
It could also be some time before Japan becomes a viable location again.
I’m sure we’ll know soon if Jackman signs on to Snow White and the Huntsman, and from that infer, perhaps, the state of health of The Wolverine.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014