Be warned – you might consider the following to be a grievous SPOILER. Though, of course, while I am about to reveal something quite surprising about the first episode in the new sixth/thirty second series of Doctor Who, there’s bound to be more going on than meets the eye.
Published this Thursday will be the final issue of Doctor Who Magazine to hit shelves before The Impossible Astronaut premieres on April 23rd. As such, this is the mag’s last chance to really blow out the hype, and they’ve done so in fine style. Look at these four alternative covers:
Yep – one of the show’s four lead characters is going to get killed in the “season opener”.
Steven Moffat talks about his decision to do this in an article inside the magazine, briefly quoted on their Twitter feed:
We’re not lying, we’re not cheating: one of those four people is going to die! When I came up with this heart-wrenching twist, I thought ‘We’ll kill off one of the leads in the season opener.’ It lures you in.
My money’s on the Doctor. Why? Because there appears to be two versions of him in the trailers – the one we know, the other one bound and bearded. Because we’ve seen River Song die already. Because neither Amy nor Rory would be quite high stakes enough, and anyway, Rory died last time around. Because it would be just like Moffat to do this. He likes playing with us.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Doctor having to try and save his own life through a little bit of timey-wimey derring do as the season’s main story arc. Having said that, I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him fail. This show has corkscrew plot lines now. Corkscrew plot lines are cool.
Note that the magazine cover above gives Rory the surname of Pond.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014