I was overjoyed when Steven Moffat took the reins of Doctor Who and… actually, if I don’t watch it, this is just going to turn into me pouring scorn on previous incarnations of the show. But let’s face it: it used to have potential. Now, it’s actually, really, honestly good.
Or at least it is most of the time. Ahem.
Anyway. Why was I even about to bash Russell T Davies and those who came before him in the first place? Oh yeah. That’s right – because a bunch of 9-11 year old kids are going to write a new episode.
From the BBC’s Teachers Website:
Script to Screen is an exciting competition that will give one lucky team of primary school children the chance to write their own Doctor Who mini-adventure starring the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith.
To win this once in a lifetime opportunity, pupils aged 9-11 will be encouraged to collaborate on a three minute script that takes the resident Time Lord on a new quest travelling through space and time inside the TARDIS…
…the lucky winners will travel to the BBC’s studios in Cardiff where they will see their script brought to life by the Doctor Who team and cast including Matt Smith. Doctor Who Confidential will also be on hand to take viewers behind the scenes to show how the script gets developed from paper to big screen – from the first script meeting, a cast read-through, on set filming all the way to the final edit.
I bet some of you are looking for your old school ties and taping plimsolls onto your knees right now.
I think this is a great initiative, actually, and these kids could learn a lot, all the while chasing the beautiful, brilliant carrot of having their work become part of Doctor Who history. Nice work, BBC.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014