It’s been an incredible year for vintage Marvel key comic book sales so far. Hot on the heels of the news that a Silver Age book has broken the million dollar barrier with comicconnect.com’s $1.1 million Amazing Fantasy #15 sale, comes word that a Bronze Age comic has broken the six-figure barrier. The best known copy of Incredible Hulk #181 has sold for $150,000 at comiclink.com.
The Bronze Age is generally considered to be the period from around 1970 to the mid-1980s, and Incredible Hulk #181 from 1974, the first appearance of Wolverine, is regarded as one of the most important books from the era. There is a single copy graded CGC 9.9 and none higher.
ComicLink Sells Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 For $150,000
A Bronze Age comic has broken the six-figure ceiling with the single highest CGC graded example of Incredible Hulk #181, Wolverine’s first full appearance, changing hands on ComicLink for $150,000. This lone 9.9 has long been estimated to be the single most valuable comic book of the 1970s, but it had never changed hands publicly until this sale a few weeks ago. This number sets a new standard for high grade comics from the Bronze Age and clearly demonstrates the popularity of Wolverine amongst collectors.
“It is a rare event when the single highest certified example of a comic as important as Incredible Hulk #181 changes hands,” says ComicLink President Josh Nathanson. “This singular 9.9 has long been tucked away in a private collection, largely hidden away from public view. The sale of this book is not only a great example of the strength of the market for top graded keys, but also an incredible acquisition for the new owner! Think of the bragging rights!”
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016
- Mantis, Baby Groot, And 60+ Screencaps From The New Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 Trailer - December 3, 2016