On the left, the cover to the third issue of Raise The Dead 2 from Dynamite. On the right a poster image on display at Wizard World Miami to promote the webcomic Zombie Years, based on an image from the site published the previous year;
Of course, both are based on the classic, and even more disturbing ad in this day and age from Coppertone.
WHich itself has been parodied a number of times, though possibly not with zombies.
Unless you count Jim Carrey‘s career.
In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself. If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn’t judge, it’s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
- The Daily LITG, 14th December 2018 – All We Ever Wanted Were Stories of a Better World - December 14, 2018
- Captain Marvel #1 Tops Advance Reorders - December 13, 2018
- Poison Ivy Death on the Cover of Heroes In Crisis #7 - December 13, 2018
- Cullen Bunn’s Writer’s Commentary on Vampirella Vs Reanimator #1 - December 13, 2018
- NYCC Event Director Mike Armstrong Promoted to Vice President at Reed POP Expo - December 13, 2018