The vintage comics scene is in shock this afternoon with the news that the CGC 9.6 copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, the first appearance of Spider-Man by Steve Ditko and Stan Lee, has sold in a private transaction for $1.1 million. This is far and away the highest price paid for a Silver Age comic book, and is indicative of just how strong the SA Marvel market is right now as we enter a huge year for Marvel properties with a full movie slate.
The CGC 9.6 copy is the highest grade of the book known to exist, and is the only copy in that grade. The previous best sale for a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 was for $227,000 in 2007 for a 9.4 copy from the famous White Mountain collection.
The broker for the sale is comicconnect.com, who sold an Action Comics #1 for 1.5 million last year.
A comic collector has been caught in Spider-Man’s web, paying $1.1 million for a near-mint copy of “Amazing Fantasy” No. 15 that features the wall-crawler’s debut. ComicConnect.com chief executive Stephen Fishler told The Associated Press Tuesday that the Silver Age issue, first published in 1962, was sold Monday by a private seller to a private buyer.
- Emma Watts Will Lead 20th Century Fox Film in the Disney Era - October 18, 2018
- Happy! Season 2: Making Easter Great Again with Weird Al and More Morrison Magic - October 6, 2018
- Mile High Pedigree Planet Comics Run Coming To ComicConnect Event Auction Beginning November 12 - October 5, 2018
- Batman 1839, Part 1: Mad Men of Gotham - September 18, 2018
- Getting Ready for the Year of the Bat - September 16, 2018