Earlier today, Bleeding Cool talked about Marvel’s new comic, The Mystery Men. And the legal issues it may involve.
So I talked to Bob Burden, creator of the Mysterymen, on which the Mystery Men movie from Universal was loosely based. Oh, and the Flaming Carrot.
Bob, will you consider any legal action against such a comic as Marvel seem to suggest they will be publishing?
I don’t even know if this is a practical joke or what yet. Do you think this is real? I don’t know. I might have to write their mothers or report them to their crossing guards.
I think it’s real. It’s from Marvel, there is a proper copyright and trademark bit at the bottom. Are you considering a Cease And Desist order?
Lawyers will probably be the kind of people that do that. I much prefer to settle things in person, face to face.
Do you get to Manhattan often? You could just rock up at the door. They’ll all be in Chicago for C2E2 as well in March. What has probably happened is that they had a small brain fart and forgot that your Mysterymen and Universal’s Mystery Men existed. When they realise, they’ll probably announce a name change. To The Mystery Guys or something. It’s weird that I was told DC were considering the same title at one point for one of their new comics – though I bet they’re pulling back from that now.
It’s a good title. I had it in the hopper for years before 1987 when we first published a Mysterymen story.
Do you know of Universal’s feelings on this matter?
I have not heard from Universal yet, but I’m sure Universal will proceed in an orderly and propitious manner.
I’m sure they will. Have you heard from Marvel yet?
No but it will be interesting to hear what they’ll have to say. I’m real curious.
And curious as to who is behind it?
Yes, who’s really behind it. I see the long arm of Hasne Mubarak. Watch CNN tonight for sings mentioning MYSTERYMEN. Get your Farsi dictionary out and watch.
Thanks Bob! And I look forward to Marvel’s next book, Flamingcarrot…
Marvel’s trademark application:
- Diamond Says X-O Manowar #1 Was 10th Bestselling Comic In March, Not 12th As Previously Reported - July 24, 2017
- Marvel Comics To Publish Sampler Volume For Star Wars Reads Day In October - July 24, 2017
- Zack Kaplan And Andrea Mutti’s New Comic ‘Port Of Earth’ Coming From Image Comics In November - July 24, 2017
- DC Comics To Run TV Ads For ‘Dark Knight III: The Master Race’ Collection For The Holidays - July 24, 2017
- Details On How Harley Quinn Will Take Over Batman Day In September - July 24, 2017