America is the home of the superhero. Both in comics, TV and film, America is where the superhero has had most commercial success. So why does it seem that Hollywood is now turning to the Brits to play them all?
Because, for a clean cut, musclebound guy with a pearly white smile, Britain doesn’t feel like the obvious choice. But with Christian Bale playing Batman, Andrew Garfield playing Spider-Man and now Henry Cavill playing Superman, something’s going on. The three most famous American superheroes in the world are being played by Brits.
When you throw in Aaron Johnson’s Kick Ass, Patrick Stewart’s and James McAvoy’s Charles Xavier, Ian McKellen’s Magneto, Alan Cumming’s Nightcrawler, Jason Flemyng’s Azazel, Tom Hiddleston’s Loki, Nicolas Hoult’s Beast, Idris Elba’s Heimdell, Anthony Hopkins’ Odin and more, it seems some kind of colonial conspiracy. And with Commonwealth members Ryan Reynolds taking Green Lantern and Deadpool, Chris Hemsworth playing Thor, and Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine (originally meant to be played by the Brit Dougray Scott) and the Irish Michael Fassbender playing Magneto one might wonder what the hell is wrong with the Americans.
Of course, this is just how it played in the comics. The likes of Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons, Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, Grant Morrison, Steve Yeowell, Alan Grant, John Wagner, Mark Millar and many more invaded American comics and for a time seemed to be running their superhero universes.
Now, Grant Morrison aside, the Americans seemed to regain their control. So on’t worry folks, in ten years you’ll have Justin Bieber playing Superman and everything will be all right with the world.
Oh wait, no, he’s Canadian isn’t he? There must be someone…
- Justice League Of America Tops Advance Reorders, Followed By Image’s 25th Birthday - January 19, 2017
- Second Prints For Unstoppable Wasp, IVX And The Few - January 19, 2017
- Dan Panosian Talks To Bleeding Cool About Working With Joe Quesada On The X-Men Comic That Appears In The Logan Movie - January 19, 2017
- There’s A DC Comic In The January Loot Crate…. - January 19, 2017
- How The Green Lanterns Comic Tackles Anxiety In A Remarkably Superheroic Fashion - January 19, 2017