The nominations for the GLAAD awards are out, The Gay And Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation’s annual reward for gay-friendly/tolerance promoting cultural works. And they have picked their nominated comic books amongst that.
As usual, GLAAD have eschewed anything that’s not in the front of Previews or USA Today, valuing a prominent public face over the quality of work, but it’s a worthy list nevertheless.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Scott Allie, Brad Meltzer, Joss Whedon (Dark Horse Comics)
Fogtown by Andersen Gabrych (Vertigo/DC Comics)
Veronica by Dan Parent (Archie Comics)
X-Factor by Peter David (Marvel Comics)
Young Avengers: Children’s Crusade by Allan Heinberg (Marvel)
X-Factor gave us a long awaited man-on-man kiss, Veronica introduced the first openly gay character to Riverdale without sterotypical storylines and Buffy… well, turned the main character gay. Ish. All right, bi then. For a bit.
But come on GLAAD, credit the artists while you’re at it, yes? This is an award for the comic, not the comic script…
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017