Thanks to drinking partner Stuart Nathan for jumping on this from a BAE project leader.
The BAE Future Projects Vehicles department has developed seven proposals for ground warfare solutions. These include remote-controlled armed robots, unmanned stealth scout vehicles, automated convoy systems and… the Raider, described as “a small, highly agile autonomous reconnaisance and attack vehicle which can carry a variety of payloads”
Here it is.
Which reminded Stuart rather a lot of this;
So a journalist at the press conference said “I like that. Looks like the Batmobile.” And Hisham Awad replied;
“Glad you said that. That’s what we based it on…Yes, we liked the look of that, so we designed something similar… You see, it turns like a motorbike and it has the same wheel configuration.”
“In all seriousness, we decided that we didn’t have a monopoly on inspiration, and if we saw something in a film that we thought might be a good idea, why not take a look at it and see if there’s something practical we can develop?”
As Stuart points out, I do hope they’ve seen Tron Legacy…
- All of DC Comics Reboots Are Still Happening, Even Elongated Man’s Identity Crisis Face (Super Sons #12 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Is Avengers: No Surrender a Flipped Version of Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars? (Avengers #676 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Wolverine Continues to Walk Through the Marvel Universe Missing Everyone (Thor #703 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Image/Skybound Sends Retailers Complete Robert Kirkman Oblivion Song Trade Paperback Two Months Before First Issue Published - January 17, 2018
- Is This Our June Wedding Then? (Spoilers for Today’s Marvel Comics) - January 17, 2018