I’ll be most intrigued to see Steven Soderbergh’s long-in-the-works biopic of flamboyent pianist, and candlestick fetishist, Wladziu Valentino Liberace. Michael Douglas has long been attached to star in the title role, with Matt Damon set to play Liberace’s lover Scott Thorson, the film’s protagonist. Boy – I really hope Soderbergh shoots this one in 3D.
Of late, you most likely know, Douglas has been suffering from throat cancer. Thankfully, he appears to be making a recovery. He has told The Hollywood Reporter (via The Huffington Post) that he’s expecting to return to work and shoot Liberace in the spring of next year, in “May or June”.
The full article will appear in the next print issue of THR, on stands tomorrow, and will feature Douglas discussing his family life, and how he’s reacted to his cancer.
UPDATE: THR have now published the article online – Vive La Print – and here’s the Liberace-salient passage:
He already has started preparing for his next role, the title part in Soderbergh’s Liberace, starts shooting in May or June and which will require special prosthetic work as well as musical training. “I’ve got a bunch of tapes of performances,” Douglas says. “I’m thinking; I’m a blank slate. Everything shows me he was a lovely man; I just want to reconfirm that.”
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014