In Katsuhiro Otomo’s Akira, a government research project involving children with extra sensory perception results in tragedy, disaster and widespread chaos. The character in charge of this project is a military Colonel who, for a long stretch of the narrative, seems to be quite the heartless bastard. Ultimately, though, he’s revealed to be a man of principle, and rather more sympathetic.
And this is the role that, according to Bloody Disgusting, may well be going to Morgan Freeman. They say he is “circling” the role, and I can see why he might.
The main thing to take away from all of these casting rumours, right now, is a sense that the film is being driven ahead. It looks very much like, after several years worth of false starts, there is really about to be a live-action adaptation of Otomo’s Akira.
Or something a bit like it that at least shares its name.
Albert Hughes is expected to begin production from an Albert Torres screenplay in the New Year. The casting gossip isn’t about to slow down any time soon.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014