Crank up the Bleeding Cool servers folks. This morning we received word that Shueisha Publishing Company of Tokyo has convinced legendary manga creator Akira Toriyama to come back and restart the Dragon Ball comics franchise.
Dragon Ball (also known as Dragon Ball Z) is one of the most lucrative comic book franchises in the world. Initially serialised from 19984 to 1995 in Shonen Jump, it has spun off successful animated TV series and films. It has sold well over 150 million copies of the collected volumes. But since then, the creator has only returned to the well for comics once, for a one-off crossover with One Piece. His other works have been shorter, more personal pieces, though he has continues to oversee new animations, and his studio are working on a Dragon Ball Online MMORG for release soon.
And it’s in that environment that Akira Toriyama has been persuaed to return to creating new chapters. Partly to help promote the game, partly to earn the boat load of cash he has been promised.
Something that will make this event even more spectacular is a simultaneous fully translated worldwide launch of the new book.
The manga industry needs a boost right now. Can you think or any better way?
- 35 Photos And Videos From New York Toy Fair 2017 – Day Two - February 20, 2017
- The Look Of LEGO At New York Toy Fair 2017 In 95 Pictures (UPDATE) - February 19, 2017
- Heroes Of Homeroom C - February 19, 2017
- Cincinnati ComiCon No More, After Four Years - February 19, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 19th February 2017 – DC Has 6, Image Has 3, Marvel Has 1… - February 19, 2017