Bleeding Cool understands that ARS Nova, the producers of the movie Black Dynamite, have optioned the right to the comic book Brat Pack.
Created by Alan Moore-collaborator Rick Veitch and published in 1991, the comic tells the story of a number of characters who bore resemblances to Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and their sidekicks, all corrupted by drugs, wealth, fame, sex and power. A sordid, grimy, sweaty tale that perfectly encapsulated the idea that power corrupts. And the central image, the costume of Doctor Blasphemy, a series of symbols recognisable as bleeping out a swear word in comics, is still an oft-used image in pop culture.
The plot follows the world’s most prominent superheroes attempting to recruit orphans to be their new sidekicks, after the previous incumbents were murdered by their enemy, Doctor Blasphemy. Midnight Mink, a Batman-styled homosexual abuser hiding as a playboy billionaire needs a new ward Chippy with all the innuendo that suggests, the fascist and racist WolverinePunisher-inspired Judge Jury needing a new murderous Kid Vicious, the Wonder Woman-styled man hating Moon Mistress needing a new Luna to wear the most ridiculous prick-teasing of costumes and Green Arrow/Iron Man-based King Rad after a drug abusing Wild Boy. All to continue the franchise.
As a critique of the superhero form, it’s a natural companion to both Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, though it uses a greater critique of the industrialisation and exploitation of the creative act as its inspiration – which should give an added resonance of irony to any successful movie and the necessary promotion such a event would demand.
There’s also the question of the ending. The original publication saw its ending amended in future versions as Rick Veitch changed his mind significantly pver the work. But certain fans still prefer the original. Could this be the squid all over again?
- People Are Adding “Nick Spencer Disclaimers” To Their Captain America T-Shirts - April 23, 2017
- Dark Matter Widens The Divide At DC Comics Between Dan DiDio And Geoff Johns - April 23, 2017
- Killing The 5 Year Timeline – Superman, Flash And Blue Beetle Spoilers For The Week Ahead, Rumbling Around C2E2 (UPDATE) - April 23, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 23rd April 2017 – Batman And Superman Beat Secret Empire, But Redneck And Monstress Rocket Up The Chart - April 23, 2017
- No Gays In Nineties X-Men? That’s What Greek Gods And Goddesses Are For… - April 23, 2017