No sooner had Deadline mentioned Noomi Rapace in connection with Ridley Scott’s Alien prequel(s), the internet was full of echoes. Shame that earlier reports had not been noted, because if they had, perhaps more attention would now be getting paid to the other two names freshly added to the list: Carey Mulligan and Abbie Cornish.
I think Rapace is more popularly suitable, at least in the sense that (in the wake of Ellen Ripley, I’d suppose) this new film’s female lead is assumed to be “ass kicking” – whatever that means. Rapace has worn movie tattoos and piercings and all of those other signifiers that commentators without imagination can latch on to.
It’s a tiny sliver less simplistic to think that an elfin type, like Mulligan or Cornish, would be a more interesting candidate for ripping the top off of a tin of whoopass. That’s just an off-the peg reversal of a stereotype that’s long since become it’s own cliche.
Casting is still ongoing, which is a good sign. I had some idea what the prequels were going to be about but then Damon Lindelof came on board, and would appear to have twisted the premise around significantly. At the moment, I honestly know nothing at all of what would be expected for this female lead, so I can’t even start to suspect who might be a good choice for the role.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014