I was rather snarky towards DC Entertainment earlier in the year when they started referring to the upcoming Green Lantern movie as more of a brand rather than a film or a comic – with Flash about to undergo the same process.
Well, it seems as if Marvel have taken inspiration. In an interview with Advertising Age, Paul Gitter, President of Consumer Products for Marvel is quoted as saying;
“The big play here is that Marvel is really looking at our films more as brands and less as films. The goal here is to become more of a household name similar to Procter & Gamble and Johnson & Johnson. We want Marvel to take a much greater position in the minds of the consumer when they are thinking about our properties.”
Yikes.This is all in the context of Marvel building up to Joss Whedon’s The Avengers, via Thor, Captain America and a world of licensed products including;
a full line of action figures, vehicles and role-playing items from toy maker Hasbro; arts and crafts products from Crayola; die-cast toy vehicles and play sets from Maisto; and footwear from Brown Shoe. Additional licensees include Fruit of the Loom, Kids Headquarters, AME and Jem Sportswear.
And the uniting phrase is Avengers Assemble.
The company is working with various licensees to have products labeled with the phrase “Avengers Assemble” hit the marketplace… “You’re going to see ‘Avengers Assemble’ logos and icons take more prominent positions… On a lot of the packaging you’re going to see everywhere, Marvel does tie back into ‘The Avengers,’ and the umbrella platform we have set up.”
And it doesn’t stop with Avengers…
- People Are Adding “Nick Spencer Disclaimers” To Their Captain America T-Shirts - April 23, 2017
- Dark Matter Widens The Divide At DC Comics Between Dan DiDio And Geoff Johns - April 23, 2017
- Killing The 5 Year Timeline – Superman, Flash And Blue Beetle Spoilers For The Week Ahead, Rumbling Around C2E2 (UPDATE) - April 23, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 23rd April 2017 – Batman And Superman Beat Secret Empire, But Redneck And Monstress Rocket Up The Chart - April 23, 2017
- No Gays In Nineties X-Men? That’s What Greek Gods And Goddesses Are For… - April 23, 2017