As well as the American-made movie about the Meredith Kercher murder case – apparently set to star Hayden Panettiere as Amanda Knox – there’s to be a British one from 24 Hour Party People‘s Michael Winterbottom. According to a report in The Telegraph, Colin Firth will play a journalist in the film as well as being “involved in writing the screenplay”.
Firth wrote a short story called The Department of Nothing over ten years ago, but I’m not aware of anything else he’s written in the mean time.
Here’s Winterbottom’s pitch for how he’s going to approach the film, as reported in The Telegraph:
The idea would be that ultimately there isn’t an answer, it’s all a puzzle. When you read about the case, there seems to be no convincing explanation for what happened. We are certainly not going to be saying ‘This person is innocent, or that person is guilty’. But we will be asking ‘Is this system of justice fair?’
He was speaking on a location scout to Perugia, the actual location of the crime.
The basis for the film will apparently be Angel Face: The True Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox, a book by the journalist Barbie Latza Nadeau. You can read an excerpt at The Daily Beast.
Interesting that a book by a female journalist is to become a film with a male journalist protagonist.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014