No sooner has there been an announcement that MTV has bought Channel 4’s The Inbetweeners for a remake by Brad Copeland, that I get people already auditioning for parts asking for my take on the characters. The names, Will, Neil, Simon and Jay seem to have remained the same – for now, Simon is hardly a common US name, though the likes of Cowell is changing that.
The Inbetweeners is one of the best recent comedies on British television, and is painfully accurate in recreating the 16-17 year old experience of the majority of most boys – not the cool ones, not the geeks, but the rest – forming strange social cliques trying to negotiate the cultural rules being imposed by the adult world. Talking about sex without getting any. Trying to be more than a product of your parents and failing. And saying “clunge” a lot. Here’s a good teaser for the third series that should give you a quick Cliff Notes for the characters.
ABC did commission a pilot script two years that came to nothing. MTV seem to be going a lot further. DVDs of the three seasons can be picked up here – a movie to come next.
- From East Asian to Caucasian – Psylocke Switches Back on Wednesday - August 17, 2018
- Court Places 3-Year Restraining Order on Keya Morgan to Stay Away from Stan Lee - August 17, 2018
- All The Reasons Batman’s Atheism Doesn’t Make Sense – and One That Does - August 17, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List – 17th August 2018 – Batman, Justice League, and WicDiv Top Chart - August 17, 2018
- The Ugly Side of Comics: The Golden Age – Michael Davis, From The Edge - August 17, 2018