No sooner has there been an announcement that MTV has bought Channel 4’s The Inbetweeners for a remake by Brad Copeland, that I get people already auditioning for parts asking for my take on the characters. The names, Will, Neil, Simon and Jay seem to have remained the same – for now, Simon is hardly a common US name, though the likes of Cowell is changing that.
The Inbetweeners is one of the best recent comedies on British television, and is painfully accurate in recreating the 16-17 year old experience of the majority of most boys – not the cool ones, not the geeks, but the rest – forming strange social cliques trying to negotiate the cultural rules being imposed by the adult world. Talking about sex without getting any. Trying to be more than a product of your parents and failing. And saying “clunge” a lot. Here’s a good teaser for the third series that should give you a quick Cliff Notes for the characters.
ABC did commission a pilot script two years that came to nothing. MTV seem to be going a lot further. DVDs of the three seasons can be picked up here – a movie to come next.
- Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man Shakes You Down For Another Dollar - October 18, 2018
- Return of Wolverine #4 Slips Into January 2019 - October 18, 2018
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Vault Of Spiders #2 Adds Scott Koblish, Mark Bagley and More - October 18, 2018
- Sara Pichelli Replaced on Fantastic Four #4 by Stefano Caselli - October 18, 2018
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Luciano Vecchio Will Join Ironheart #1, Issue #2 Slips to January - October 18, 2018