UPDATE from Rich: Last week Bleeding Cool reported that this position was about to be filled – though we didn’t know by whom. But choosing Bob Harras as the new editor-in-chief is interesting for two big reasons. First, as X-Men editor, it was on his watch that Jim Lee became the superstar (and now Co-Publisher of DC Comics) he is today. And secondly, choosing Marvel’s pre-Quesada editor-in-chief smacks of taunting Marvel in much the way that Marvel did DC during the Comics Code meeting that set Mike Carlin’s eyes rolling. Well, I understand Marvel’s eyes are certainly rolling today…
New York, NY, September 27—Robert Harras has been named Editor-in-Chief, VP, DC Comics, it was announced today by DC Comics Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio. Harras will oversee editorial for DC Comics, DC Universe, MAD Magazine and Vertigo and will be based in New York City, reporting directly to the Co-Publishers. Harras becomes the company’s first Editor-in-Chief in nearly 10 years since the position was held by Jenette Kahn from 1981 to 2002.
“Bob Harras’ personal and creative integrity is respected and renowned throughout the comic book industry,” said Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher. “As an editor, he provides invaluable insight into storytelling and character.”
“We could not be more excited to make this announcement,” said Dan DiDio, DC Comics Co-Publisher. “Bob is a tremendous evaluator of talent, character and story. He is a proven leader who brings a keen understanding of the marketplace to the position.”
Prior to being named Editor-in-Chief, Harras was the Group Editor, Collected Editions at DC Comics.
Before joining DC Comics, Harras was the Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics from 1995 to 2000.
- Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Sells for $2,052,000 After Bidding Resumes at Comic Connect - June 12, 2018
- Do Over: Multi-Million Dollar Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Back on the Auction Block Due to Technical Glitch - June 12, 2018
- [UPDATE, Sale Not Final] Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 Sells for $2,007,500 at Comic Connect - June 11, 2018
- Universal Studios Presentation Live Blog at Cinemacon - April 25, 2018
- Another Take on The Hollywood Reporter Piece on Stan Lee’s Situation #StandByStan - April 10, 2018