It’s not just the American Golden Age comics from the nineteen thirties which are seeing a price bump of late. The Dandy Beano Summer Special from 1963, combining stories from popular British weekly anthologies Dandy and The Beano (here we see the British Dennis The Menace from The Beano about assualt the Dandy’s Desperate Dan – an early example of the “crossover”) has just sold on eBay for £1375 (around $2100). This may well be a record for a post-WWII British comic book.
That’s in fine condition, sold sight unseen, without any kind of official CGC grading.
This period of children’s comics are much more common to be found in people’s homes than, say, comics from the 30s or 40s. It may represent a boom in interest in these titles and a goldmine for British comic fans from fifty years ago.
The same seller also sold a number of other similar books, for significantly less – a Dandy Summer Special from 1964 going for £205, a Beano for £425.
Time to go through your attic, folks!
- Which Order Should You Read Your Marvel And DC Comics Tomorrow So As Not To Impair Your Enjoyment? - January 24, 2017
- Marvel’s Secret Empire Starts Earlier Than We Thought (SPOILERS) - January 24, 2017
- Dark Horse Solicits For April 2017 – It’s Cowboy Shaolin Time! - January 24, 2017
- Changes To Tomorrow’s Comics – Detective Comics, Future Quest And Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps - January 24, 2017
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today! A Comic Show – Star Wars, Saga, & Slayer - January 24, 2017