It’s not just the American Golden Age comics from the nineteen thirties which are seeing a price bump of late. The Dandy Beano Summer Special from 1963, combining stories from popular British weekly anthologies Dandy and The Beano (here we see the British Dennis The Menace from The Beano about assualt the Dandy’s Desperate Dan – an early example of the “crossover”) has just sold on eBay for £1375 (around $2100). This may well be a record for a post-WWII British comic book.
That’s in fine condition, sold sight unseen, without any kind of official CGC grading.
This period of children’s comics are much more common to be found in people’s homes than, say, comics from the 30s or 40s. It may represent a boom in interest in these titles and a goldmine for British comic fans from fifty years ago.
The same seller also sold a number of other similar books, for significantly less – a Dandy Summer Special from 1964 going for £205, a Beano for £425.
Time to go through your attic, folks!
- The Siegel and Shuster Lost Superman Story that Marv Wolfman Rescued as a Boy - January 23, 2018
- Thanos #15, Avengers #677 and #678 Go to Second Print Before Even Going on Sale - January 23, 2018
- Venom to Get an “Epic” in the Fall of 2018… Another One? - January 23, 2018
- Image Comics Solicits for April 2018: Launching New Series Analog, Isola, Crude, The Dead Hand, and Skyward - January 23, 2018
- Ralph Macchio Returns to the Avengers for the Infinity Shards! - January 23, 2018