So superhero philosophy now seems to be a recognised unversity endeavour. But how might certain superheroes – and their nemesis – embody such philisophical thoughts?
Here’s ten for a Thursday. Please feel free to add your own.
Superman – Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another. (Plato)
Darkseid – Death may be the greatest of all human blessings (Socrates)
Batman – To understand a name you must be acquainted with the particular of which it is a name. (Russell)
Beast Boy – If man makes himself a worm he must not complain when he is trodden on. (Kant)
Doctor Doom – The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster. (Hume)
Mister Fantastic – Curiosity is the lust of the mind. (Hobbes)
Storm – Mere goodness can achieve little against the power of nature (Hegel)
Cable – It is easier for a tutor to command than to teach (Locke)
Black Canary – Absolute silence leads to sadness. It is the image of death. (Rousseau)
Lex Luthor – It is folly for a man to pray to the gods for that which he has the power to obtain by himself. (Epicurus)
Care to suggest some more?
Image from Mark Stivers.
- Gene Luen Yang Joins the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund Board of Directors - June 21, 2018
- X-23 Relaunch Tops Advance Reorders for Comic Stores - June 21, 2018
- Cosmic King Comic Store of Springfield, Missouri to Close - June 21, 2018
- House Of Comics, of Jacksonville, Florida, to Close at the End of the Month - June 21, 2018
- DC Solicited Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev’s Absolute Scarlet by Mistake? - June 21, 2018