Grant Morrison talks to the LA Times about his contuining run on the Bat books, in which we also learn that Batman is getting his yellow oval back. This is possibly the biggest indicator of a change in tone for Batman. Whenever the yellow circle goes, then the book is trying to be more serious and modern, whenever it returns, it indicates a silver-age more positive outlook.
And with Batman Inc, it’s Batman jet setting around the world finding Batman-alikes to receive the Batman franchise, creating a new and diverse Batman Family.
And he gives us a few sound bites in the process
Batman can take anything. You can do comedy Batman, you can do gay Batman…it all works. It something intrinsic to the character. It’s so strange and amazing.
Nothing I’ve done with Batman is so shockingthat it hasn’t been seen before. I’ve tried to tell fans: ‘Don’t worry about time travel, he’s done it before, we’re just going to see it in more conventional, more down-to-earth way.”
This is a lot like “Batman Family,” I suppose, except the family is very extended in this case and it’s global. I tell people not to worry. Batman can take it. He’d done it before.
You know what though? I don’t know if you can do gay Batman. Not in the comics anyway. Even analogues like Midnighter caused them trouble. But I’d like to see DC give that a go…
- Adapting Madness – Bringing H.P. Lovecraft’s World to Life - March 18, 2018
- Lying in the Gutters – 18th March 2018 – DC Comics Collect Their Thoughts - March 18, 2018
- DC Continues New Editions of Sandman for 30th Anniversary into 2019 - March 18, 2018
- Exclusive Relationships: J. Scott Campbell, Adi Granov, Dale Keown, Leinil Francis Yu and More - March 18, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 18th March 2018 – “And Now We Have a Horse Race” as Marvel Steps Up - March 18, 2018