Chris Arleston is the man feted to take over writing the Asterix comics when Albert Uderzo retires. This month, he has told Casemate magazine that his series Lanfeust Of Troy with artist Didier Tarquin from Soleil is to be translated and published in America.
And that rather than talking to Marvel, responsible for a number of European translations of late including a range of Soleil titles, he’s talking to DC Comics, a company that has dropped all its European work of late.
Apparently it’s all down to DC Co-Publisher Jim Lee, who is trying to secure the rights. Also, given the fantastical nature of the series, it may find a more easy fit at Jim Lee’s Wildstorm studios.
The comic is described thus;
On the world of Troy, most humans have a single magic power. Each power is unique to the person and includes such diverse feats as walking on water, personal teleportation, and causing thirst in others. However, none can use their power unless in the close or remote presence of a sage of Eckmül, Troy’s truest version of a studied magician.
Lanfeust is an orphan and an apprentice blacksmith who can heat metal at will. His adventure begins when he’s asked to mend the sword of a passing aristocrat. When handling the sword’s pommel, which was made of ivory from the Magohamoth—a legendary magical beast—Lanfeust gains the power to use any power known in Troy, moreso without the presence of a sage. Nicolede, both the local sage and Lanfeust’s future father-in-law, persuades Lanfeust to accompany him and his daughters C’ian and Cixi to the University of Magic in Eckmül in order to learn more about this phenomenon.
Among the many perils faced during their journey, they are ultimately confronted by Thanos, a pirate with the same potential as Lanfeust that will do whatever it takes to steal the ivory of the Magohamoth.
- Jim Lee Has Told His Origin Story So Much That He Let Fans at #WonderCon 2018 Tell It Instead - March 24, 2018
- At This Very Moment, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fans Are Crying at #WonderCon, and It’s All Boom’s Fault - March 24, 2018
- Domino is Like Birds of Prey, but Sexier and Dirtier – Gail Simone Spotlight Panel at Wondercon #2018 - March 24, 2018
- Expect Voyager’s Story to Continue in Quicksilver: No Surrender – Mark Waid Spotlight at #WonderCon 2018 - March 24, 2018
- Spider-Gwen vs. Venom in New Marvel Funko Animated Short at #WonderCon 2018 - March 24, 2018