Nora Ephron, director is coming off of her most accomplished work to date, the rather winning food-and-books love-in, Julie and Julia. It’s a film that also reflects very well on Nora Ephron, screenwriter but when it comes to being behind the keyboard and not the camera, I’d think her best script work may be Rob Reiner’s When Harry Met Sally. It has some competition. Taking her full CV into consideration, I’m happy to reveal myself as a member of her fan club. Nobody mention Bewitched.
Badge on and out with the secret decoder ring, then. Ephron’s new project is a biopic of jazz singer Peggy Lee that Variety report she will both write and direct. Reese Witherspoon (the last-but-one to be dubbed “America’s Sweetheart”, bridging the gap between Julia Roberts and Julie and Julia’s Amy Adams) will take the lead role, and very possibly get to reprise the on-screen singing that boosted her to Oscarville for Walk the Line.
Lee’s best known recording is probably Fever but even casual film buffs will also know her for her voice work in Disney’s Lady and the Tramp. I’ll be very surprised if Ephron asks Witherspoon to perform some kind of impersonation of such a distinctive voice, and instead expect that they will go either with lip syncing or Reese’s own tones and colours. Bad mimicry would be just horrendous.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014