The original graphic novels basically sell for cover price, although a Bryan O’Malley signature can double that.
But the mini-comics attract the most attention. Odds And Ends, a thin pamphlet collecting colour appearances of Scott including the Free Comic Book Day edition has been selling for $40 on eBay. While the Free Comic Book Day version on its own goes for $13.
But the real money, as always, is in the spinoff stuff. T-shirts made for the E3 release party of Scott Pilgrim go for $182 for the pair. Even making your own Ramona Flowers-style bag can net you $130. A $20 Sex Bo-Bomb print made for San Diego this year on sale for $20 now sells for $100. And just a bag of giveaway swag at the show can get you $50. A wrist bracelet given away with the first thousand copies of Scott Pilgrim 6 sold at San Diego by Oni go for almost four times the price you’d have paid for the book. And just a couple of giveaway buttons at Con are $35. And a sticker from San Diegos past reached a staggering $35. Odds are with comic-based films however that there’s an artificially built bubble in the weeks before release as a result of the movie marketing machine. This, usually, doesn’t last…
In other Speculator News, a Scot buys the first Oor Wullie Annual by Dudley D Watkins for twenty pence (30 cents) in a garage sale. And then plans to sells it for £5000 – around $7500. As the Daily Record points out, a copy sold for £4000 ($6000) five years ago….
That’s a return on initial investment of 250,000%.
A couple of months ago, Bleeing Cool suggested that you might visit a branch of Hastings and pick up an exclusive cover to True Blood #1 and put it on eBay. Well, someone did and got $30 for their trouble. They now have another copy up at $60…
Have fun folks! And remember, most speculators never make any money. And have to eat their copies of Turok #1 to survive.
- DC Comics to Ship Batman: Damned with Special Care to Prevent Damages - August 15, 2018
- Die!Die!Die! #2 is Out Next Wednesday, #3 Out on 26th September - August 15, 2018
- DC Comics to Start a Nuclear War Against Christmas with the Nuclear Winter Special 2018 - August 15, 2018
- J. Scott Campbell, Women Readers, and Dogpiling on Critics - August 15, 2018
- Limited Edition Polybagged Black Badge #1 Sent to Key Influencers… Bleeding Cool Not Included - August 15, 2018