Presented for your enjoyment from the John Byrne Message Board;
I was watching a few minutes of the WATCHMEN movie on cable last night, and I found myself musing on the notion of a “prequel” or sequel to the original comicbook series.
In WATCHMEN, Moore inverted — I might say perverted — pretty much everything the superhero genre is all about. He was not the first to do so, but WATCHMEN was the first time we got it all in such a concentrated dose. Largely, this seems to have happened because Moore is very much a one trick pony. The one trick works for him and his fans, so no problem there, I guess. But this got me to thinking about who would be a suitable candidate to produce another round of WATCHMEN.
The thought began to take shape in my head that any revisiting of those characters should be a continuation of the “tradition” of WATCHMEN. That is, as Moore trashed everything superheroes were all about, the next go-round should do the same with WATCHMEN itself. So the ideal candidate for doing the project should be someone who is equally a one trick pony, but from the opposite end of the spectrum. Immediately, one name sprang to the forefront: Rob Liefeld.
No, I’m not kidding. Liefeld would be to WATCHMEN what Moore was to superheroes in general. And it would be such fun to watch a whole flock of retailer’s heads exploding, as they tried to serve two entirely different faces of mammon!
– John Byrne
- Photos From The Warner Bros. DC Comics Movie Presentation - July 22, 2017
- Least-Surprising SDCC News: Wonder Woman 2 Is Confirmed - July 22, 2017
- Riverdale: Season 2 Will Have 22 Episodes, Toni Topaz Will Be First Bisexual Character, And Sabrina Is Coming - July 22, 2017
- DCEU Panel At SDCC: Robin Will Be In ‘Batgirl’ Movie - July 22, 2017
- Green Lantern Corps Film Will Have John Stewart And Hal Jordan As Lead Characters - July 22, 2017