Doesn’t mean he’ll stop writing them of course. But in a series of tweets, Mark Waid has done a bit of an Alan Moore, stating;
Annnnd today was the day I stopped reading super-hero comics. One that I won’t name finally broke me. Collection stops as of now. No joke.
It’s not one bad comic. It’s the unbearably last in a long string of bad comics.
Just sick of reading the same story 100 times in the last three years.
Mark Waid will be appearing at the San Diego Comic Con where he will be moderating the Kick-Ass panel. Which, last time I checked, was a superhero comic book. Could be interesting.
UPDATE: Steve Wacker, Mark Waid’s editor on Amazing Spider-Man has tweeted
ANNOUNCEMENT: I am quitting super hero themed drinking glasses. One that I won’t reveal has broken me. (Glass is broken too).
UPDATE UPDATE: Mark Waid has continued to tweet and clarify. He writes, addressing a number of people who take issue with his statements.
It’s been building. I didn’t say they were all bad. I said I’ve reached a limit.
People are reading way, WAY too much into one late-night tweet. I LOVE comics. And I LOVE super-heroes. And I’ll keep writing ’em. But… there is a new, recent cynicism to many of them that I find exhausting and mean-spirited and uninspiring and life-denying.
If I were flailing about in rage, YOU’D KNOW. Instead, I’m just saying I’m not finding what I’m looking for right now personally. That’s all.
Lotta good super-hero comics out there. Grant’s stuff. Bru’s stuff. Fraction’s Iron Man. Etc. My issue is much deeper than that.
Apparently, this is the slowest comics news day of ALL TIME.
Note: When the subject of any news story says that it must be a slow news day, the odds are generally that it’s anything but.
- There Will Be Two America #4 Comics In Comic Stores A Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Two Iowa Comic Book Stores Close, One Week Of Each Other - April 28, 2017
- Jae Lee And Brian Stelfreeze FOC Covers For Jim Henson And Victor LaValle.. - April 28, 2017
- A Box For Archie Comics’ Spider-Man Digests In Time for Spider-Man Homecoming - April 28, 2017
- Oh My Days! Bill Potts’ First Titan Comics Doctor Who Appearance, On Free Comic Book Day - April 28, 2017