Some success of The 40 Year Old Virgin is down to its original screenplay, no matter how sculpted through adlibs and editing that may have been. There’s a sweetness and completeness to the film’s arc that prove really effective I think.
It could be easy to assume co-writer Steve Carell sat back while his collaborator and director Judd Apatow did the heavy lifting, but not so, and it should be noted that the initial spark for the project was a comedy character and skits that Steve Carell had cooked up by himself.
Since then Carell’s only produced writing has been two episodes of The Office, but they were definitely real corkers. Surely it’s about time he wrote another feature?
Here’s what Carell explained during a video interview I saw at Collider:
I took a pass at Get Smart 2, wrote a completely new story and we’ll see what happens with that somewhere down the line perhaps… Anne Hathaway is definitely in and Alan Arkin, so at some point… we don’t have any projected date and the script still needs some tweaking and some rewriting.
Or… maybe you prefer Mean Girls to The 40 Year Old Virgin. I mean, I know that such people exist. That was another film with which a sitcom star wowed (some people) with their feature screenwriting debut. We know that she’s not got anything to do with Mean Girls 2 – which is bypassing DVD and going straight to TV, say MTV – but is she only focussed on 30 Rock now? Or is she writing anything else?
At the end of the same interview video, when the guys are getting up to walk away and the cameras should be turned off, you can hear Steve say:
Tina’s actually writing something right now.
According to the Collider report, this something is another vehicle for her and Steve. They definitely had a chemistry in Date Night. A Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn for the 2010s?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014