Sorry guys, some video from the Blue Beetle live action test footage was part of an SFX showreel for rommel S Calderon went live on YouTube for a few minutes along with Alvin & The Chipmunks and Ben 10, until it was suddenly pulled down seconds ago, before I had time to download it.
UPDATE: It’s back up. Fifty seconds in. After chipmunks. Ooh look, there’s some Wonder Woman as well.
The footage, showing the back scarab scene and the standing scene was all of five seconds long, but it was enough to cause a furore, clearly.
Of course, some of you who saw the images and the footage did see a certain simularity between this;
The latter is a scene from the Yowser Yowser Yowser video for Gyratory System directed by comic book writer Alex De Campi that was popularised on the sci-fi and tech sites a couple of months ago, and made on a budget of $500. Something tells me the Blue Beetle footage may have cost a little more.
And yes, this is mostly an excuse to run this video again…
In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself. If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn’t judge, it’s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
- Watchmen Lenticular Covers For Batman And Flash “The Button” Story Won’t Be In Previews – Retailers Have To Order Now - January 18, 2017
- Justice League/Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 Gets A Nice New Cover For Its Second Print… - January 18, 2017
- Looks Like Captain Marvel Was Right About Civil War II – But Has The US President Abandoned Her? - January 18, 2017
- DC Comics’ New Gay Superhero, The Ray – In His Own Words - January 18, 2017
- Valiant Goes To Space – Six Pages From X-O Manowar #1 - January 18, 2017